Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Why I'm Not Attending my High School Reunion

(I copied this from my other blog site, not loving it over there.)

I’m not sure what happened, but, somehow, we  have come round to the 20th anniversary of my high school graduation.
When I was in school, waiting to turn 20 seemed like an eternity. Now, I find, 20 years has blown by. And,folks…..I do not feel nearly old enough to be marking this milestone.
My denial of years passing has nothing to do with not going back for the reunion.
When I first heard that some old classmates were organizing  a little something  to commemorate our high school days, I thought: “Well, that’s nice. Maybe I’ll make the trip”
In the back of my mind, I also knew that my Fabulous Running Buddy and I were hoping to get in to the #Seawheeze Half Marathon in Vancouver.
2 reasons to travel this summer.  I was pretty sure I couldn’t manage both.
So. I chose the race.
Some background:
I only went to my high  school for 2 years. I only lived in that town for 3 years of school before I graduated. I got married and left town 2 years after graduation.  (5 years all told,if anyone was adding it up)
I don’t really have roots there. My  parents moved away over  5 years ago. (Although my sister is living there again).
While it would be fun to visit, and there are some people I’d really like to see, one trip is the limit. If I could manage going twice, I probably would.
I have some good memories of my time there, and some not-so-good memories (As  I’m sure most people do about those years). I was hardly someone that would be well remembered by the majority.
I hope everyone who goes has a wonderful time. I hope they all laugh and reminisce about those “Good old days”.
Me, I’m really looking forward to making the trip in August. I can’t wait to see the mountains again, the water (both ocean and lake). I’m so excited to see my sister, her mister and their Littles (I haven’t met the kiddos yet). Taking the kids there after so many years (7) will be fantastic for them as well. And the race of course! Our second Half Marathon! It’s going to be a good trip, if all goes according to plan.
There are some troubles that might be brewing, but, we’ll sort it out. Things have a way of coming together if you want it bad enough.
And hey, it’s 2014….an even number. My favourite kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment