Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jumping off the Bandwagon, I'd Rather Walk

Nearly half-way through February. Did you make a resolution for 2014? Have you fallen (or jumped) off the proverbial bandwagon?
I gave up on making hard (impossible) resolutions a long time ago. Promising to change things that have been a part of me since forever, it's just an invitation for feeling like a failure and self-flagellation.
Let's take the usual resolutions: Lose weight and exercise.
Both are great, right? Then, why is it, most folks have thrown in the towel by this point?
I have a couple of ideas (don't I always?)
*Biggest Loser Mentality:  love it or hate it, you've seen the show. The contestants lose ridiculous amounts of weight on a public stage.  Unattainable for the real world. I think that logically, a lot of people know that.  Still, somehow, we expect that exercising a few times a week and eating some salad will net us the same results.

*All or Nothing:  guilty here. If I make a "bad choice" then why bother grabbing those veggies or drinking that water?  Didn't exercise on Tuesday, might as well wait until Monday to start again. All food is good food (it's all about the quantity), and even 15 minutes of movement  is beneficial (not every workout needs to be an hour long, all out "beast-mode"  session).

Is it really that simple? Perhaps. I hate to think that to live as a strong and healthy individual I need to wrap myself up in a web of rules set out by a new fad diet every month.
So, while I may not be a size envied by most, I'm working on loving the skin I'm in while I'm focusing on my goals. Getting strong, being healthy, and training for the Seawheeze Half Marathon Baby!

Ultimately, I want my kids to remember their mom as someone who worked hard and smiled....not a woman who continually chased an idea that was unhealthy, and never meant to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment